What is Educational Technology?
- October 22, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Uncategorized
As technology evolves, so does the need to adapt it to the educational system. Teachers need to incorporate more modern styles of teaching as technology continues to change. Educational Technology, also known as Edtech, will be tackled in this article. We will explore what it is and its importance in modern day teaching.
According to wikipedia, Edtech is defined as using software, hardware and educational theory to promote learning and improve effectiveness by using appropriate technological means and resources. To simplify, the word Edtech is derived from Educational Technology, to use technology in learning.
In this Era of Technology, are common teaching methods still effective? Studies show that the use of technology in teaching is more productive than the traditional way of teaching. But the question still remains, what is the importance of technology for education? Here are the most common advantages of Educational Technology.
- Increase in Student Engagement. A common problem that teachers encounter everyday is boosting student engagement in class. Many studies show that incorporating technology in their teaching routine is providing the power of learning straight into the student’s hands. Since everything is just one click away, students can easily access everything they need leading to build instant knowledge, thus the increase of students’ engagement. Not only the engagement increases, but also the excitement to learn grows.
- Tracking Students’ Progress. Through Edtech, teachers are able to keep track of their students’ performance whether it may be for written or oral activities, attendance, and behaviour. This feature enables the teacher to assess and measure the learning and study habits of their pupils and improve the behaviour or well-being of their students, so they can customize their lesson plans according to the child’s way of learning. Because if you can measure, it you can manage it.
- Paperless Learning. Having to use Gadgets as a medium for learning, papers, books, as well as pencils aren’t that necessary anymore. The good thing about this is that the school can save a lot of money by just purchasing e-books that are just a fraction of the price of physical books. Saving time is also an advantage in going paperless, teachers go through piles of test papers that they will check, record, and encode; through edtech in just a few clicks you’ll be able to do those things in a short amount of time.
- Collaborative Learning. The traditional approach in collaborative learning is going to a coffee shop, brainstorming with your group, spending hours to work and communicate about how you will tackle and do your project. On the other hand, the modern approach is collaborative learning virtually, the need to go to a place, spend some money to stay there, talk about things that can be done through mobile education apps are not valid anymore. Edtech allows students from different geographic locations to talk and further discuss, evaluate, give feedback just by sitting in your room. It also teaches students at a young age to develop their sense of teamwork.
- Improve digital literacy. digital literacy is using information and communication technologies to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information. Given that the majority of the jobs being offered right now includes science, technology, engineering, arts, math (STEAM) having a vast knowledge and understanding of the digital field is a must-have skill for students. Acquiring these skills may ensure your students’ future jobs it is never too early to start looking for your future occupation. Of course, having the skill of digital literacy does not assure that a certain student will get this certain job, but it can assure that the students will be well-prepared for what’s in store for them in the future.